14 August 2008

Livin' on a Prayer

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH - I'M HALFWAY THERE!

9 1/2 weeks down.
8 1/2 weeks to go!

I've reached the halfway point of training!  The runs no longer feel like a burden, but are something I look forward to each week.  

I'm no longer getting upset if I miss a run because I'm nervous about not training right.  If I miss a run now, I get upset because I REALLY wanted to go for a few miles!

The good news:  missing runs is happening much less frequently, and all of the long runs are making their way under my belt.  This includes last week's 10-miler in 87 degree heat.  It was by no means a glorious run, but I did it, and felt better for it.

Probably my favorite run recently was one that normally would have frustrated me to no end.  On Tuesday I went out for a 3 mile run with no particular pace goals in mind, but started feeling really good about half way through so I got adventurous and pushed on, looking for a familiar street.  Turns out, the street doesn't connect where I thought it does, and wound up running over Highway 101 and into an industrial park along the bay.

The tricky part:  I didn't quite realize that the beautiful sunset I was seeing meant it would start getting dark.  Fast.

I made it back to familiar territory before requiring the light of street lamps, but certainly learned that I took the ambient light of NYC for granted when I lived and ran there.  When it gets dark in Menlo Park, it gets DARK.

The moral of the story:  3 miles turned into an adventurous 5 miles, and my pace didn't suffer all that much as a result.  Turns out there's still a lot of joy to be found in running, and it's not always based on accomplishing a particular time, pace, distance or split goal.  

Here's to 8 more weeks of that!

No comments: